Which Vertical Market Should I Work In?
By Alan Cohen, President of Fitness Jobs
The vertical markets in the health, fitness, recreation and leisure industries are extremely diverse. The question of "What vertical should I work in" is not a fair question as many of you will work in several verticals early on in your career. Even as your career progresses, you may shift from one vertical to another as your experience level and personal needs change. Having multiple options is a good thing!
"For Profit" Vertical Markets to Consider
With over 50,000 health clubs in the U.S. there are plenty of choices for employment. Within this "vertical" there are numerous sub-categories and options.
Chains or multi-club operators. Here are some of the largest: 24 Hour Fitness, Life Time Fitness, ClubCorp, LA Fitness, Town Sports Intl., Planet Fitness, XSport Fitness, The Bay Club Co., Midtown Athletic Clubs, EXOS, UFC Gyms, Crunch Fitness, Orange Theory Fitness, and Anytime Fitness.
Benefits of working for a large chain:
- More stability compared to an individual club/owner - most often, but not always
- Health and medical insurance, 401k plans and vacation time is almost always made available to full-time employees. Usually a modest monthly fee is deducted from your paycheck
- Continuing education is often subsidized
- Ongoing staff development and training provided
- Higher wages
- Growth potential
- Well-equipped and maintained facilities (most often)
- Usually HR compliant (most often)
Downside of working for a large chain:
- A lot of rules and regulations (good and bad)
- Local and regional management may not always represent the ideals of top management
- Financially driven, often to meet stockholder's expectations
- May be required to work a lot of hours
Alan's Advice: "Working for a chain has a lot of upsides with training providing valuable experience and growth potential. All chains are not created equal! Working for a reputable chain may open a lot of doors for you in your career".
Want to learn more? Visit fitnessjobs.com
Or contact Alan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or call toll free: 800-259-4397